Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Some Concerns

I have been a member of ABT for roughly 6 years or so now. I’ve seen it’s ups and downs whenever I had time to make it on. Lately, however, I feel some concerns need to be addressed. First of all, I feel the etiquette in chat has fallen, due to reasons I will discuss in a little bit. I know by personal experience that I’ve fallen into the category of not being up to the standards ABT once held and haven’t always been at the level of etiquette I should have been, and that is on me. But, I also feel that feeling of being able to get away with things as I’m sure others have felt is in part due to 1. Some of the rules aren’t clearly defined and are up to the mods to tell people and 2. The presence the mods have. The mods as some of us have been told that it is very, very frowned upon to ban people. I understand this, but at the same time, without that deterrent, some people become more bold in doing things, knowing they will most likely not be banned or what they do get is a slap on the wrist. Even without banning, not being “harsh” on some of these people creates a lower bar for etiquette. I full on know there were times I should have been more harshly reprimanded, but I was not. I believe having more defined guidelines and rules would help with this. Which brings me to the next topic, the rules. The rules are quite hard to find and out of the way in some regards. Also, not all the rules enforced in the chat are listed on the written rules, such as no swearing and at one point no debating. If these rules were more accessible and had the full rules that are enforced in chat, I believe it would help out the chats etiquette. I also believe having more mods that are trusted would help as well. As of now, there isn’t always a mod on. I am not blaming any mods for not being there as I understand they have a life, but to address that issue of having no mods on at times, sometimes for more than a couple hours, I believe ABT should recruit more or even have a “job posting” so to speak on it to allow people to apply. I do not believe adding mods strictly through recommendation is the best course of action, but through an application or interest and then recommendations or even a trial test period after an interview. Off of that, I think classes will also help somewhat improve etiquette, or at least a sense of family in some ways. There haven’t been many as off late which is somewhat saddening, because those were quite popular with the right teachers. If you have a posting for this, then people will be able to dedicate themselves to it knowing what it takes and what times it would be at, without adding more stress onto mods or other people who may have been teachers before. As long as they can be recommended, interviewed (when mods/admins are not busy of course), and tested, I feel like it could turn into a great system of teaching people and helping them learn and grow in their path. I feel enacting all or even some of these will make chat a better place not just for newcomers, but for the older regulars as well.

Thank you for taking the time to post this. I haven't been a member for as long as you, not even close, but during my brief tenure, I've noticed the issues you've mentioned as well. When i first joined, it was b/c I wanted to refine the skill of clairvoyance, which I do believe is something we all have the power to do. W/ all the changes, those classes are no longer offered, and it's quite sad that we've deviated from one of the many goals.
I also agree that the rules need to be more clearly expressed and accessible. Do we need 50 posts for a reading? 25? 10? Does anyone really know? Active member for six weeks? two weeks?? I've heard so many different things for both that I'm never really sure what the actual answer is.
I think i speak for all members when I express my gratitude to both Steve & Helen as well as the mods who selflessly continue to run this site. Given that, no mod should ever be expected to, 'baby-sit,' the rooms full time. As mentioned, there aren't enough of them so even allow for that. I am in total agreement that there should be, 'applications,' to be a mod, as well as, 'trial periods,' before anyone is picked. It seems a little bit unreasonable to only currently allow new mods to be chosen by existing mods. We're all human (as far as I know?), so it is important to consider the potential for selection bias.
Thanks for posting this! Hopefully, it will open eyes to some member issues and help change some things!

Thank you for posting i will alert steve to this post. Helen.x

I was going to make a post regarding similar concerns, so I'll just tack onto this one if no one minds 🙂

I joined the previous ABT site in 2016. At that time, it was a welcoming community that had frequent learning opportunities both on the forums and in the chat. There were threads offering instructions on things like shielding, grounding, and cleansing. There were many different opinions and methods on how to do this, that, or the other thing, which was great for getting many ideas on how to solve a problem or learn a skill. ABT was - and still is - the only place where I can freely discuss various "not of the norm" experiences and dilemmas with people who understand what I'm talking about and offer advice.

However, at this time, ABT is no longer the community I originally joined. Forum activity plummeted when we changed over to this current site, so I had to rely on the chat for the most part. I wasn't able to log into the chat for several months, not for lack of trying, so I have been a bit in the dark until a month or two ago when I was finally able to get into the chat. I was thrilled to be back, but I've been disappointed by the new "vibe" of the chat. I did give it some time, figuring I needed to get used to new faces and fewer moderators. But nearly every visit I left the chat due to the constant aggressive and hostile conversation that made it impossible to talk without getting pulled into the drama. Last night was particularly bad.

I've never had an argument with anyone or a bad word to say about anyone the entire time I've been a member on this site. But this community has become toxic and impossible for me to function in. I can't remember the last time there was a class or a genuine discussion about something other than what people were drinking or the weather. At least, not while I was in the chat. All I see is one or two people trying desperately to have a normal conversation while the entire chat hurls insults and instigations back and forth at one another and laughs about it. I see moderators trying to wrangle the room only to be insulted, disrespected, and laughed at until they grow frustrated and give up. I took quite a lot of screenshots of last night's chat as an example, and am happy to provide them to staff members if needed. I will not post them publicly because I will not reward the bullies with a spotlight.

I don't know what happened or what's going on to create such a drastic shift, but I can't be a part of a community that's this hostile all the time. I'll continue to check the forums on occasion, but no one really seems to respond much on here anymore. I will not participate in the public areas of the chat, but will respond to private messages. I've provided one of the chat mods with my Discord and Skype information as well in case there is a need for the screenshots I took. I am okay with that information being shared with any staff member, and you're welcome to reach out to me if needed.

I hope the new ABT finds its way and becomes a pleasant, welcoming community where its members can learn, grow, and communicate peacefully. Until then, I need to take a step back for my own well-being.

If you'd like to keep in touch, feel free to send me private messages or respond to my posts on the forums.

- Cole

Hello Cole,
I am dismayed to hear this has happen. you have been a valued member and contribute for such a long time. Lets hope we get anybodythere back to the place you know and love. Thank you for letting us know. its moderators and members feed back that helps us know what is going on.
I will alert Steve to this post.

hopeful wrote: ↑Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:46 pm
Thank you for taking the time to post this. I haven't been a member for as long as you, not even close, but during my brief tenure, I've noticed the issues you've mentioned as well. When i first joined, it was b/c I wanted to refine the skill of clairvoyance, which I do believe is something we all have the power to do. W/ all the changes, those classes are no longer offered, and it's quite sad that we've deviated from one of the many goals.
I also agree that the rules need to be more clearly expressed and accessible. Do we need 50 posts for a reading? 25? 10? Does anyone really know? Active member for six weeks? two weeks?? I've heard so many different things for both that I'm never really sure what the actual answer is.
I think i speak for all members when I express my gratitude to both Steve & Helen as well as the mods who selflessly continue to run this site. Given that, no mod should ever be expected to, 'baby-sit,' the rooms full time. As mentioned, there aren't enough of them so even allow for that. I am in total agreement that there should be, 'applications,' to be a mod, as well as, 'trial periods,' before anyone is picked. It seems a little bit unreasonable to only currently allow new mods to be chosen by existing mods. We're all human (as far as I know?), so it is important to consider the potential for selection bias.
Thanks for posting this! Hopefully, it will open eyes to some member issues and help change some things!

1.There is no post requirement for a reading.

2. The 2 weeks active for a read is not really a rule, its there out of courtasy due to members joining and requesting readings straight away, for the readers sake this is mentioned. (i may not be 100%)

3. Sadly there have been alot of mods that have left leaving as far as i have seen Kimorents, Shell and Helen as Mods.

Hopefully this makes things a little more clear, understandably for new members it can be difficult with the rules, but the ones that have been here ages should be able to help and guide you in the right direction. There is definately need for more moderation as the ones we have now are struggling with all the chaos.

I have also proposed to steve a traffic light system on here which i believe will work i.e:

Green = Good member (Safe).

Amber = Warning (you have time to redeem yourself).

Red = Instant ban (IP blocked also)

In time we will get back on track and this site becomes as welcoming as it has been in past years.

Take care all 🙂

Here some more helpful information, the 2 week activation rule is for members offering/practicing readings before you can read/sign the agreement you must be a participant in chat for 2 weeks.

Link to readers rules: https://isanybodythere.net/forum/topic/readers-agreement-rules-guidelines/

Link to chat etiquette: https://isanybodythere.net/guidelines/

Freyja wrote: ↑Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:48 am
I have been a member of ABT for roughly 6 years or so now. I’ve seen it’s ups and downs whenever I had time to make it on. Lately, however, I feel some concerns need to be addressed. First of all, I feel the etiquette in chat has fallen, due to reasons I will discuss in a little bit. I know by personal experience that I’ve fallen into the category of not being up to the standards ABT once held and haven’t always been at the level of etiquette I should have been, and that is on me. But, I also feel that feeling of being able to get away with things as I’m sure others have felt is in part due to 1. Some of the rules aren’t clearly defined and are up to the mods to tell people and 2. The presence the mods have. The mods as some of us have been told that it is very, very frowned upon to ban people. I understand this, but at the same time, without that deterrent, some people become more bold in doing things, knowing they will most likely not be banned or what they do get is a slap on the wrist. Even without banning, not being “harsh” on some of these people creates a lower bar for etiquette. I full on know there were times I should have been more harshly reprimanded, but I was not. I believe having more defined guidelines and rules would help with this. Which brings me to the next topic, the rules. The rules are quite hard to find and out of the way in some regards. Also, not all the rules enforced in the chat are listed on the written rules, such as no swearing and at one point no debating. If these rules were more accessible and had the full rules that are enforced in chat, I believe it would help out the chats etiquette. I also believe having more mods that are trusted would help as well. As of now, there isn’t always a mod on. I am not blaming any mods for not being there as I understand they have a life, but to address that issue of having no mods on at times, sometimes for more than a couple hours, I believe ABT should recruit more or even have a “job posting” so to speak on it to allow people to apply. I do not believe adding mods strictly through recommendation is the best course of action, but through an application or interest and then recommendations or even a trial test period after an interview. Off of that, I think classes will also help somewhat improve etiquette, or at least a sense of family in some ways. There haven’t been many as off late which is somewhat saddening, because those were quite popular with the right teachers. If you have a posting for this, then people will be able to dedicate themselves to it knowing what it takes and what times it would be at, without adding more stress onto mods or other people who may have been teachers before. As long as they can be recommended, interviewed (when mods/admins are not busy of course), and tested, I feel like it could turn into a great system of teaching people and helping them learn and grow in their path. I feel enacting all or even some of these will make chat a better place not just for newcomers, but for the older regulars as well.

I remember being in the chat room when you and one other user were having a discussion and it turned into a weird, intense conversation. This is why I rarely type anything in chat. I do not mind answering questions or offering a personal opinion, and I visit chat to simply chat. I feel welcome, so that is not an issue at all. Chat rooms are a good online communication tool, but it can get out of hand.

I just joined this forum and I was curious if you have to join chat in order to request a reading. I do not do chat for all the reasons Cole mentioned. Any chat I have logged in to seems to be two people talking about something and 15 people chatting over them with nonsense. Not something I can deal with.

Some of these are pretty old posts. if you want a forum reading go to a thread where someone is actively reading and put a request in. Members readers if they wish will do a reading for members in pm. But its a voluntary chat room when it comes to free readings. You are very welcome to book with Akasha and you will get a private one to one reading on phone skype or instant message in chat room. There is a charge for Akasha. (dead link)

hey desertrat, you can just request in forums also, no obligation to joining chat for one. Just to inform you though in meet and greet we talk about nonsense and absolutely anything, however readings take place in the development and practice rooms which by rules are silent only leaving 2 people speaking per time, you will get sitters if you allow permission to, these are people who come watch practicing readers develope etc, Moderators watch this process in order to keep the rules in place of silence. ultimately the choice is yours 🙂

Thank you Crimson Fox.