Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Myth of Runes and Knowledge

A myth/guide I would like to share that has always struck a cord with me is the Hávamál (Words of the High One) from Norse Lore. Most of it contains information on how to live day to day, interact with strangers, and even tales of wily women escaping the speaker's (Odin) grasp. The part I'm drawn to is the part of where Odin spears himself to Yggdrasil, the world tree, for 9 days and 9 nights over a well in order to gain the knowledge of the runes. With no help, food, water, or even something to help the wound, he gave what he could to obtain something new. After this endeavor, he also learns how to carve the runes, mark them, enchant them, and use them. Spells of grand scale were taught to him by his unnamed uncle after proving himself by doing this show of sacrifice.

I find this self sacrifice all for the sake of knowledge very accurate and even applicable in life. In order to gain something, you must always give something else up, and the most worthwhile things are usually the most painful. This is again expressed in Norse Lore when Odin is forced to give up one of his own eyes in order to get even one drink from Mimisbrunnr, or Mimir's Well. These myths resonate with me for that soul fact that nothing is free, ever. Never in one myth for the Northern Peoples did something come free, and if it did, there was a heavy price to pay later on. I feel that this sense of sacrifice is somewhat lost nowadays sadly unless its time or money. I would recommend people to read some of the myths, as not only are some incredibly entertaining, but they also hold a great deal of wisdom that is applicable to many aspects of daily life. I gave an incredibly rough outline of the Hávamál Rune story, as it goes much more in-depth than what I could write without copying it word for word then explaining it for each stanza.

Interesting, and I think you are right. In life we do have to make sacrifices along our path if it is something worth attaining.
Usually it is our time, which is paid at a set rate and converted into cash to be spent on things we want, but it can be relationships or people if we choose ambition instead.

I often feel that something has to die in your life before there is room to grow in another direction. We get set in routines that are hard to break, but once they are it opens up new possibilities.
I think the death card in Tarot signifies this.