Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Division by zero is actually possible!

0 is nothing. Example: 7/0=7. You've got 7 and you divide by nothing, means you don't divide at all. You've got still 7 left, because nothing isn't anything.
But what about 0/7=? Nothing divided by 7? Nothing remains, because in this case 7 isn't a thing! Therefore if you divide 7 by nothing, the 7 is something. That's why it remains. Remember the laws of thermodynamics? Energy cannot be created or destroyed.

Please check this forum to see why it is actually not possible: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/53336.html .

Yes you can't. I kinda rushed the title. But the number that you intend to divide by nothing remains. 6/0=6. You just approach it differently.

According to calculators your answer is incorrect, reason being is that 7/0 is infinity, Infact calculators wont even give you an answer because again its infinite give it a try.

Ravensfox wrote: ↑Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:21 pm
According to calculators your answer is incorrect, reason being is that 7/0 is infinity, Infact calculators wont even give you an answer because again its infinite give it a try.

If you go by the math rules, you end up in a loop, that's right. But what does "6/0=" actually mean? It means: I don't divide "6". I still have got 6. Because where would the 6 go if you don't do anything with it?

Well if you go by that rule and say you have 1 cake in 6 slices without anyone to share it with then your not left with 6 slices but 1 whole cake. Division only works by that rule, there is no alternative 🙂

No, 6/0 means impossible. You cant have 6 slices of a cake that doesn't exist Peacekeeper, it's not how math works.

Of course it's impossible to divide by nothing. The actually problem you think "nothing" is actually something. Well, it's not at all! 6/=. You clearly don't do anything.

I wonder how math would be if we had "X" instead of a "0". Maybe it would be then a bit more clear that "0" alone is only a placeholder.

Ten: 10
Nothing comma six: x,6

0 is not a place holder though in any sort of math, only constants are. You are trying to argue something that has been proven over and over again to be true as false, and sorry but you don't have much to stand on. 0 means nothing in every sense of the number, as that is what it is meant to be. Nothing. In math, it can be something depending on the circumstance, but in terms of anything divided by 0, it is nothing. X is a placeholder constant of some number you have to find, it does not mean nothing, unless it is in a case in which the 0 means nothing. So please, go educate yourself in how math works before replying as you don't seem to understand how the basics work. To act as if your hypothesis with no backing is true is incredibly foolish, especially with no research. I have researched this and have taken many math courses, high level ones at that. Unless 0 is an asymptote, it means nothing. And that nothing, makes the original number it is divided by non-existent, or undefined.

Freyja wrote: ↑Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:38 pm
0 is not a place holder though in any sort of math, only constants are. You are trying to argue something that has been proven over and over again to be true as false, and sorry but you don't have much to stand on. 0 means nothing in every sense of the number, as that is what it is meant to be. Nothing. In math, it can be something depending on the circumstance, but in terms of anything divided by 0, it is nothing. X is a placeholder constant of some number you have to find, it does not mean nothing, unless it is in a case in which the 0 means nothing. So please, go educate yourself in how math works before replying as you don't seem to understand how the basics work. To act as if your hypothesis with no backing is true is incredibly foolish, especially with no research. I have researched this and have taken many math courses, high level ones at that. Unless 0 is an asymptote, it means nothing. And that nothing, makes the original number it is divided by non-existent, or undefined.

And you don't seem to pay attention while reading my comments. I asked what math would be like if we had an X instead of a 0. I did not mention formulas! This is not what my question was about. Because if we had an X instead of 0. Then the X would not be available as a letter!

My question was more so: What's better?:
x,129

But whatever, people just annoy me with "I dare you to divide by zero" all the time. It really doesn't take a Chuck Norris. Something divided by zero is the number you prepared to set a division sign and then add with ...

Anyway, I'm not looking forward into discussing this any further. I admit though I'm not a math teacher.

See ya