Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Help Improve Chat

Page 1 of 3Next

Hi Day_Man,
I'll address your post on a point by point basis.

a) I have no recollection of receiving a complaint from yourself (Day_Man) concerning the abuse of power with any mod.
if you would like to send me the complaint, send through the contact page please. The complaint needs to be a copy of the actual text being used anything else is just hearsay.

b} If you feel the rules are a bit over the top please post on this thread which parts of the rules you have a problem with.

c) I can assure you there has been individuals that have entered our chatroom under the age of 18 and the only way we actually found this to be true is with the combined help of our moderators and vigilant members. Just because 'it appears' that none of our members are under 18 it isn't always the case. Plus I would guess that you don't spend all your time in chat.

d) Unfortunately we have automated software to try and stop swearing in chat. I personally don't mind the odd swear word said in context, but some members swear too much and not all members are appreciative of the amount of swearing as we cater for all ages and creeds. Swearing for the most part in vocal communication can be quite automatic and habit bound in a way. I understand this. Typed text is different as its a deliberate action so is not necessary and not appreciated in most situations. We also suffer from trolls as do most websites hence this is the main reason why we have the software in place.

e) I agree with you 100%, I also hate dictatorships I can't speak for everyone otherwise that would make me a dictator.

f) We are going through some changes with chat... I know it needs to improve hence why I created this thread and I have asked for members replies... so thank you for your reply. We are working on it. We have a number of hurdles we have to overcome and it's quite complex, So, please bare with us. There are new mods who are ready to come on board but I have delayed this because i want to make sure I have covered all the bases first as I don't want to be upsetting anyone unduly.

Hi, First I must say this, This is an awesome community! I noticed little thing and I think that will help to improve chat. I noticed that some chat rooms are not active always. If mods able move members to right room that will be great!

Thank you.

I too like the idea of moving members. I think the fly chat room is definitely working, though. Its much more easier to navigate than the old addon chat room and less buggy than the addon too. The atmosphere in chat is definitely a good ambience and vibe in there at the moment.

I too would be more than happy to help out with modding should you need further help on that as well as guiding sessions. I also like to outlet the support of using the rest of the rooms for extra sessions on the side to help mentor or guide others perhaps we could do that also should someone come in to need the extra support. Might be a good thing. Just saying and observing. Other than that, no further comments from here as far as I'm aware. Would let you know if there was anything else needing to be addressed. Kudos x

Some suggestions from members:

1. An interview or test instead of needing a mod to read for people who are fully developed readers that have been reading for years before joining this site.
2. Private password protected room for private reads, like the one we had on old chat.
3. Chat should be used for supporting, is there a way to have mod free readings?

Some good ideas also there Crimson & Members. These too should be taken into consideration in my opinion!

Jin I dont know how long I spent in pm telling you how things are now

I believe in second chances if people change . Tolerance is key not putting down members belief no matter how crazy you think they are. The swearing in caps at a member was the last straw . you told me clearly in pm you wouldn't change. Well its rather simple mend your ways and your welcome back . I had members complaining . as I told you . I dont take lightly and I'd talk to you *many times .

I really up to you and your choice chat is a troll free bulling free preaching free zone now and Thank God . even you saw the difference . my job to keep it welcoming and peaceful .

hugs jin peace be with you

Another suggestion Steve, many people are signing the readers agreement before the 25 posts and 2 weeks activation, I suggest this thread has the option to comment once these requirements have been met and not prior.

Hi Guys,
I'm asking all of you that use chat to please participate in this thread and have your say with how we can all 'as a community' help improve our Chat Room.

I want this to be a positive endeavour so please no negative posting about other members if you have a personal problem please contact me direct.

This is your chance to help build a more positive chat experience and I will be replying to everyone that is involved. Some suggestions that maybe posted may not be possible due to restrictions within the software, if this is the case I will explain why so at least you know and it can be laid to rest, so to speak.

here's to a better chat and look forward to reading your posts and working with you all.
Steve

Some suggestions for Chat in my experience:

1. Rules need to be laid out better, as they stand for guidelines it isn’t clear on all the “dos” and “don’ts”. Like no swearing is enforced, but it isn’t stated in the rules themselves.

2. The swearing filter on that note is buggy. Things like “xx”, “suck/s” and “hardcore” are blocked out but no one on chat uses these words in sexual or suggestive manors.

3. More mods would be nice because as it stands, Kimo right now is on a trip, Dae hasn’t been seen in a couple days, and Shell comes on later than most people due to time zones. I am in no way saying that the current mods are bad or need to be replaced, just life happens and we need more to fill that gap if possible. If trusting mods is an issue, I have suggested in the past a trainee program where you watch them for a bit/make them a halfmod if possible, and monitor them to see what they do so they don’t power trip or fall into those kind of habits.

4. Classes, if there are people to teach, may also bring people closer together and chill them out. The games we also used to do in chat were fun for peeps, helped em with their skills, and made people closer.

5. Banning. People, myself included, take advantage of the mods not banning. I’m not saying go on a ban spree, but it should be either reinstated if its not used or enforced at times. I’m not even saying perma-bans, but short day or hour bans as muting doesn’t do much at times for some people. They can still pm and do other things as well.

I think temporary bans would probably be useful.

Scheduled classes and akasha evening back at some point.

Be nice if members did use all the rooms put in chat instead of just staying in one room ie meet and greet.

I witnessed some of what was said yesterday. If someone wants to state their views or have a heated debate. It would be nice if they took it to another room. People could follow if they were interested or if not stay in meet and greet chatting among themselves.
This has always been a problem getting people to use other rooms so they don't dominate chat.

We are all different. Some people like heated debates others find it uncomfortable. Some are confrontational and want to annoy people. This is not acceptable in my opinion but heated debates and sharing views is healthy.

Its respect at the end of the day. If people don't like what you are saying don't bully them in to listening or force them to leave. Just go to another room with anyone who is interested in and wants to join in your thread of conversation. If no one follows you change the subject as obviously the people in chat at that time are not interested..As i said it respect for those in chat at the end of the day.

So use all the rooms so everyone would be happy?

Hi Freyja,
I will look into your points and post back on this thread thanks guys

Hi Helen, in firm agreement with your post. Well said. I also like the idea of a traffic light notion invented by CrimsonFox - I stand corrected - which hopeful mentioned in the other post, which might be a good chance to use, but at the end of the day, you are right in the fact that it is respect. Apologies to whoemever was in chat yesterday, my mood was a particularly strange one. Still processing emotions from the day before.
Thank you 🙂

Traffic light scheme is something I suggested to Steve via pm back on October 24th 2018, I believe it would be a great addition as members will know their status and given ways to improve. Other things above I agree with, clear rules maybe a new set stating foul language etc. Most of my suggestions have been sent to you steve via pm. Whatched how this site has evolved of the last 9 years and chat has gone downhill slightly since then.

The Crimson Fox wrote: ↑Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:42 pm
Traffic light scheme is something I suggested to Steve via pm back on October 24th 2018, I believe it would be a great addition as members will know their status and given ways to improve. Other things above I agree with, clear rules maybe a new set stating foul language etc. Most of my suggestions have been sent to you steve via pm. Whatched how this site has evolved of the last 9 years and chat has gone downhill slightly since then.

I like that idea. Sorry, I thought hopeful mentioned it in the other post, had I known you suggested it, I stand corrected on that x I firmly believe it could work. For what its worth, though, it does all boil down to respect, I understand that now. The mood I was processing the other day also wasn't my mood to feel, it was empathetic. So I'm glad it lifted afterwards when conversation calmed down entirely.

I pretty much echo Freyja’s suggestions. I’m going to just tack on a few things.

Rules not only need to be clear, they need to be consistently enforced. Currently it depends on the mod and the mood of the room. Also, sometimes there is no mod in the chat at all, or the mod is distracted/away, so things go unchecked for a length of time and it gives the perception the rules don’t apply or aren’t really serious. Because this happens fairly often, people feel picked on if suddenly a rule is enforced that they’ve broken when they’ve seen the rule relaxed or ignored before without consequence. Some people who are on all the time and are frequent rule breakers now have the perception that the rules don’t apply to them, so they do not take the rules or the mods seriously. This is an unfortunate dynamic that’s difficult to reverse, in my own experience as a chat admin on other forums. Particularly when it’s gone on for so long unchecked.

I haven’t really noticed the swearing filter. I have noticed it doesn’t filter out all swear words. I’m not sure how easy to fix that is, as I’m not familiar with the software. I think the more important thing is to enforce the no swearing rule, as if that happens the filter is irrelevant. Also, I think it’s important not to nitpick on the occasional minor slip of a curse word and to focus instead on disrespectful language and intent, as someone can still be very disrespectful and cruel without every typing an actual swear word. The swearing isn’t really the problem. It’s disrespectful, cruel behavior.

More mods would be helpful because the more watchful eyes on the chat the better, but if the mods can’t do much to stop bad behavior, adding more won’t help. I was asked at one point if I was interested in being a mod and the reason I said no was because it would drive me insane to have to sit in the chat and take disrespect and abuse from people basically laughing at you while you try to tell them “Please don’t do what you’re doing” – because the offenders know there’s nothing that can be done, and they no longer respect the moderators or take them seriously. This makes the mod position very unattractive. So, while more mods would be helpful in a general sense, it’s a very hard sell right now and wouldn’t fix the problem of disrespect in the chat.

I very much miss the classes that used to be offered here, and I miss being able to actually talk productively about my supernatural experiences. Every time someone tries to talk about a potentially paranormal experience or a prospective member comes in with a question they’re immediately responded to unkindly by someone who disagrees with them, or is simply not in the mood to entertain the topic. I’ve experienced this firsthand many times, and I’ve seen many prospective members run off by this immediate slap on the hand. This used to be a place where any questions or concerns about the supernatural were welcome – even if they were “dumb”. That atmosphere needs to return, in my opinion.

I think temporary bans are more useful than long-term bans. In my experience, something like a fifteen-minute ban to give the mod time to privately message the person to talk them down is more helpful than banning them for an hour as punishment, leading them to make a fake account, hide their IP, and troll the chat simply out of spite. The point of a “ban” – to me – is to de-escalate the situation. It’s the online equivalent of pulling your friend aside at a party when they’ve gotten a little too rambunctious. “Hey, man, settle down. What’s going on?” I think muting was supposed to accomplish this, but all it seemed to do was aggravate the muted parties.

ColeWayne hit the nail on the head. It's the atmosphere that needs to change. New members log on to ask a question only to be recieved with rudeness and negative responses. That's bad for business as they say and this forum is in desperate need of more active members.

Is there a way to tag someone on the forums to get their attention via the post? Thought about this the other day but it might be a nice feature for chat as well. Although, sometimes that might not be needed but instead of PM'ing someone it might just grab their attention either way in the rooms.

StormWalker wrote: ↑Fri May 17, 2019 6:45 am
Is there a way to tag someone on the forums to get their attention via the post? Thought about this the other day but it might be a nice feature for chat as well. Although, sometimes that might not be needed but instead of PM'ing someone it might just grab their attention either way in the rooms.

You do via quoting (") on the comment made ans it notifies.

U forget my age and how long I have been here for. and I was once that confused kid that came in here asking about things and most ppl led me astray with their delusions. luckily I was somewhat rooted already. OTHERS WONT BE. and if ppl are allowed to share opinion then I should be able to share ming even if its that's fkin ridiculous . im not trying to hurt them . DONT BE FOOLISH SHELL A BAN FOR A DAY I GET. but what ur doing is abuse making me the bad guy for no reason. and no I wont change. im not DOING SHI WRONG . its my opinion . there is nothing wrong with all caps either it doesn't even mean yelling to me it means emphasis.

I don't thik u realized the dialogue of the conversation shell

its not about belief u gonna tell someone hearing voices "" its faries? as a first go to ground ima say that's fkin bs . . . and there is nothing wrong with not changing that if u think there is u are retarded. u missed a lot of the dialogue about that conversation I was just telling this person to become familiar with their own internal voices if this is happening that is crutial as an unbias person. AND I GET INTERRUPTED BY FARIES ARE U KIDDING DUDE

Page 1 of 3Next